Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Christmas reminds me of heaven.

Ok, ok, maybe I've been hanging around the seminary too much or perhaps the incessant holiday zeal of the profiteering marketers has gotten to me, but I like Christmas. Not only that, but Christmas reminds me of Biblical truth. (Appropriate, is it not?)

Do you remember the excitement you felt about Christmas as a kid? It was, as one classic holiday movie puts it, the event which the kid-year revolved around. As a child I devised all kinds of ways to count down the days to Christmas. One year, I had a Santa Claus calendar where you could glue a cotton ball to Santa's beard for every day that passed until come Christmas, Santa had a full beard. I made paper chains and I tore off a link for every day that passed. And of course, there was always the verbal count. I know I drove my mother crazy with that one. I would triumphantly announce the number of days remaining until the holiday and my poor mother would groan and shake her head, thinking of all that was still to be done.

I still love Christmas. The sights, the sounds, the traditions,the time spent treasuring family relations, meditating on the mystery of the incarnation of our Lord-- it is a wonderful time of year. But the thought struck me the other day: we are in the season of anticipation. Not for presents or family or carols, but for heaven. That's exciting to me! How I wish that I had more of my childish eagerness back... but for the coming of the Lord. I am waiting for the penultimate event of all time. For utopia! For rest! To see the Savior's face! What an exciting thing! How often I forget that He is coming. And how much greater will He be than any shadowy holiday. Here's wishing you a Merry Christmas and a season of anticipation that lasts far past December 25th.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Sounds like you've been reading City of God.

Our pastor from Georgia always told us to "live our eschatology." You'd love him.

I promise I won't be obnoxious and comment on every post the instant you post it.