Monday, October 29, 2007

L'abri

We had the chance to visit the English branch of L'abri this past weekend. L'abri is French for "the shelter" and it is basically a ministry for people to come and live in a home environment while studying and asking questions. It was started by the Schaeffer family in the 1940's and the fist L'abri house was in Switzerland. Now they have them in multiple countries. Having always been enormous fans of Francis and Edith Schaeffer, it was a real treat to actually get to go there. I love Edith's book, the Hidden Art of Homemaking, and it encourages me to take a real pride and joy in my work around the home. But it also sets the bar awfully high, and can leave me feeling discouraged when I don't measure up. Brian and I have been reading her book L'abri since recently and it is such an encouragement. It tells the story of how L'abri got started and the hard times they had and the amazing ways that God provided. It has helped me so much to see their struggles and the Lord's care and provision for them. It is so easy to look back on the finished work and be intimidated, but this book is a real testimony to God-- it was all his doing. I'm clinging to the hope that He fully work out his plans in my life as well.




No comments: