Thursday, July 20, 2006

If you knew a murder was about to take place, what would you do?

Would you call in a surgeon to get the person's organs since they are going to die anyway?

I suppose you may have heard that President Bush vetoed his very first bill yesterday. That's right, his first veto. And what did he veto? In the words of Maggie Fox of Reuters: "The bill vetoed by Bush would have allowed federal taxpayer money to be used to do research on those embryos donated by the parents. It is not illegal to use private funds to do so..." All this veto does is deny federal funding to a practice that, unfortunately, is already happening. But to hear some of the acid comments that are made, you'd think that President was shutting down any hope of a cure for all the diseases that ail mankind. A second Pandora, if you will, unleashing sickness and evil onT an unsuspecting world. This article is particularly harsh.

The author writes "Fertility clinics destroy thousands of embryos every year, byproducts of the in-vitro fertilization process. The bill would have allowed federal funding only for stem cell lines made from embryos that were destined for destruction, not adoption. No lives will be saved by the president's veto, but it's quite possible that many will be lost, victims of complications of diseases that embryonic stem cells could one day cure." So since these children are going to be destroyed by the wishes of their parents, we might as well take advantage of it. Heaven forbid that we try to step in and help the victims.

Forgive me if my tone is a bit angry today. I have a hard time remaining calm enough to effectively dialog about this issue. It is upsetting to know that thousands of little ones just like my Iain are being destroyed by the whims of their parents. Why is Iain's life any more valuable than theirs simply because his genetic father decided that embryo donation was a good idea?

I'm so very thankful for my sweet baby. When I think about these things, the truth of God's sovereignty hits me hard, as well as the aptness of Iain's name. God was gracious to him and did remember him out of hundreds of thousands of children. Why Iain? I don't know. But I am so thankful and I want to raise my son with that gratitude in his heart.

1 comment:

Doni Brinkman said...

And you know my dear girlfriend that you are getting a very loud HERE HERE from me on this topic! We'll be ranting til Kingdom come (literally) over this one!