Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child

There are so many verses in scripture about children! It's amazing. I'm trying to read through a few and meditate on them. I must say that I take great delight in Proverbs 23:13-14:

Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you punish him with the rod, he will not die.
Punish him with the rod and save his soul from death.


Please don't think it is because I delight in the thought of bringing pain to my son-- that will be difficult. It delights me because it is such a contrast with modern parenting "wisdom" which advocates discussions, empathy, and ignoring bad behavior. Ok, I'm a lawless little tyrant who wants a cookie instead of dinner and refuses to go to bed or bathe and you think you're going to stop me by telling me you "understand how I feel" ? That's great, since you're so understanding where's my bleepty-bleep cookie?

Do people really think that letting your child act as if he is your equal is really going to make him into a responsible adult? Scripture says it won't. Pyschologists say spanking your child will damage him. Scripture says it will save his soul from hell.

Cancel my subscription to Parents.

No comments: