Thursday, November 06, 2008

Maddening Menus

To make the most of resources, I always plan what meals I'm going to have for the week before I go shopping. Every week I spend at least 30 minutes looking through cookbooks, searching online, or staring into space trying to conjure up meals utilizing what I have on hand and what's on sale. Don't ask me how it is possible for a woman who has been cooking dinner every night for almost seven and 1/2 years to be stumped every week when it comes time to plan a menu. But there it is. So I was wondering if anybody wanted to help a bit this week? :) I actually don't have to cook tomorrow night since we're going to a friend's house. So I could possibly do some baking or freezer cooking to get ahead.

At any rate, I'm pretty well stocked at the moment thanks to a buy one get one free meat sale at Albertson's. We don't eat a lot of meat, especially beef or pork since it is expensive, so this is very exciting.

Here's what I've got:
2 packages bratwurst
1 package ground sausage
1 whole chicken
1 beef roast
2 packs of chicken breasts
2 packs of pork chops
Lunchmeat (also a treat!)
potatoes
fresh spinach
rice
pasta
curry paste
bananas
apples
cream of mushroom soup
diced tomates
canned veg
tomato soup
chicken broth
monterray jack cheese
eggs

So what should I make? I left off some staples and I can go to the store to fill in a few items, but we have plenty of food and we need to eat what we have. If you've got an idea or recipe, I'm all ears. I'll share my final menu plan after I figure out what it is.

3 comments:

heidi jo said...

we've been taking sandwiches to a new level... open-faced deli delight!

some yummy bread (jas likes simple wheat while i prefer something really grainy and homemade-feeling). then smear something yummy like cream cheese or just a slice of another cheese you like. layer meat and cheese - with some cheese on top that will do well under a broiler or turn sort of crisp (like parmesan - yum!) i put in the oven at around 350 for 5 minutes or so then broil the tops. (oh - i put them on a broiler pan so the heat gets air under them but the lower pan catches any cheese spillage. :))

another great addition is to slice up some tomatoes (i like roma) and spread them out on the broiler pan - then sprinkle with parmesan, which gets crisp under the broiler... bake/broil next to the sandwiches - not ON - that way they don't make the sandwich soggy. - pile on top OF OPEN FACED SANDWICH. feels like a gourmet deli meal. :) yum!

Anonymous said...

I think you should make a sausage plait (if ground sausage is what I think it is - like the inside of a sausage?).

You'll need to make some pastry but that's fine and easy to make from scratch.

You make up your pastry and then roll it out, put the sausage meat and any other ingredients - vegetables, chopped up potatoes (boil them first so they're soft), herbs etc - in a line down the centre of the pastry. Then cut the edges so you've got strips radiating from the centre and plait it. Then bake it in the oven. Yummy.

If you make a long one then it's good cold as an addition to lunch too :)

Jordan said...

Both of those sound awesome. Thanks so much.

Sarah-- I just did that with pizza ingredients, so I've got a good dough recipe. Mmm... perfect for chilly days!

Heidi-- yum, yum! I would have never thought of broiling the tomatos. I wonder if I could do that with other veggies too? Maybe mushrooms and olives? How long do you broil them for?