Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Learning when to be quiet.

Well, I'm still working on that one (if you know me, you know how much I like to talk). But God is moving me a bit closer today. I was going to write about dumb things people have said to me about adoption. I guess I wanted to get back at them by slyly poking fun at them behind their backs. But Lamentations 3 was my devotional reading today. I read one book at a time, one chapter per sitting (and not very faithfully either, I might add), so it was pretty funny (i.e. Providential) when a friend gave a me a verse from Lamentations 3 yesterday. Only God (and me) knew that was what I would read today. I wish I had the time to post the whole chapter-- you should read it if you haven't recently. It starts out with Jeremiah speaking of his affliction "He has besieged me and encompassed me with bittterness and hardship. In dark places He has made me dwell.... My soul has been rejected from peace; I have forgotten happiness." Everyone has or will experience the pain Jeremiah is talking about. But he is not hopeless. What a wonderful book the Bible is!

"It is good for the man for a man that he should bear the yoke in his youth. Let him sit alone and be silent since He has laid it upon him. Let him put is mouth in the dust. Perhaps there is hope. Let him give his cheek to the smiter, let him be filled with reproach. For the Lord will not reject forever. For if He causes grief, then He will have compassion according to His abundant lovingkindness. For He does not afflict willingly or grieve the sons of men...... Why should any living mortal or any man offer complaint in view of his sins? .... I called on your name, O LORD out of the lowest pit. You have heard my voice, 'Do not hide Your ear from my prayer for relief, from my cry for help'. You drew near when I called on You; You said 'Do not fear!'"

How foolish I am, and quick to speak. Always ready to indict others and plead for myself. How gracious is the Lord! He gives me trials and helps me to learn a bit through them and keeps from wallowing in despair.

No comments: