Thursday, January 26, 2006

Depressed

We had another bleeding scare Tuesday night. It started about 9pm and didn't stop until 11am the next morning. These things really take a toll on me. I know that Iain is not mine and the he belongs to God, but it is really difficult to keep the proper perspective when this happens.

I'm really frustrated with my doctor too. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the reproductive endocrinologist, but it seems like this doctor is too hands off. When I have concerns, I feel like she brushes me off without really investigating. When I called her about the bleeding, she said it was fine and told me to go to work on Wednesday (which I did not!), cleared me to travel to Boston as long as it stopped bleeding, and told me she didn't need to see me in the office. I don't see how she can tell all that over the phone, especially when she didn't even ask me any questions! She did the same thing with the heart palpitations I was having. The doctor on call told me that it was a common pregnancy side effect, but that I should get it checked out ASAP just to be sure. When I told my doctor about it, she said I was fine. She didn't even listen to my heart. Also, I haven't had a physical exam since my first visit. Is that standard? I'm not sure, since this is my first time. My visits take 10 minutes. She listens to the baby's heartbeat and asks if I have any questions and that's it. Is that normal?

Praise be to God! I just got a call from the nurse at the doctor's office, and she said I could go see the head doctor there today at 1:45. That is such an answer to prayer! I will feel much more confident if I have someone actually exam me.

I just have felt so despondent since this all happened. Of course, laying around in bed all day in the midst of a messy house doesn't really help. I'm praying that God will help me meditate on the beauty of His character today.

4 comments:

SomeOne said...

You have described the typical office visit of every pregnant woman. Just about everything you experience an OB will tell you is a common side effect, but it would be nice if they also told you something to do to alleviate the problem. Speaking of which, how are your round ligaments? I am currently popping Arnica for my hip, and I thought about you and wondered if you had gotten some.

Anonymous said...

I've never been pregnant (my children are adopted :) - but if you are that concerned & your doctor is that unconcerned that you are concerned, I'd find another doctor! To me, that is extremely insensitive! Considering you are carrying a life inside of you, I tend to think it would be common to get frightened over such a thing. I know I would! Having such a non-caring doctor would not help matters.

Jordan said...

My round ligaments have been fine lately. :) I never did get any arnica, because right after you told me that, it stopped! I'm thinking it might start up again as this baby grows more, so I need to get some. I haven't been ravenously hungry lately either so I'm thinking my little guy had a growth spurt.

As far the doctor goes, I really should post about it because it was a tremendous blessing from God. I was able to see the other doctor (who I have more confidence in-- he was highly recommended by another doctor I trust) and he is going to be my new OB.

SomeOne said...

Praise the Lord. A good doctor is a rare gift.