Thursday, October 12, 2006

Settling into life in Brighton

I lift up my eyes to the hills.
From where does my help come?
My help comes from the Lord,
who made heaven and earth.
Psalm 121: 1-2

Fall is beginning to show her face here in Brighton. They've had a bit of an Indian summer lately, but today as I was walking home the crisp air turned my cheeks a rosy red and the trees are gearing up for their pagentry. It is a show that I haven't seen in quite a while, so I'm looking forward to it. Autumn is my favorite season.

We're still settling in here. It is surprising considering the place is only 2 rooms, but there are still some things we need to buy and some repairs that need made. We're meeting lots of our neighbors who are quite the eclectic bunch. We've met people from Uganda, Ireland, Nigeria, Iran, England, Mexico, and Malaysia. Brian is busy with reading and seminars and meetings. He is actually going to be involved in editing an online history journal that US puts out, so that will be a great resume booster and very good experience for him. I'm busy trying to stretch our money as far as we can make it go comfortably: going to the store, buying things for Iain secondhand, cooking from scratch and creatively using leftovers, hunting for deals online. And of course taking care of Iain! I just got a job watching the 1 year old, Kon, who lives in the flat above ours. It's once a week for 3 hours and I get 12 pounds. It is not the greatest pay, but his Mom is a student too and it is nice to have a little extra money, particularly when I don't even have to leave the house to get it! I was praying for something like this, and I'm so thankful for it.

Iain is getting SO big! Here he is in the Bumbo seat that I got for him today. Look at him sitting up! He can't do it on his own yet, but he sure is trying!

I also fed him rice cereal for dinner tonight. I couldn't shovel in fast enough. Brian made him some and I didn't think we'd use all of that batch but he ate it all, plus a second batch that was even bigger! I'm glad, but I'm also a little sad, too. I guess that is just the way we mommies are. I rejoice over his development, but I always feel a strange pang knowing that part of his life has fled into the past forever. It is silly really because I want him to grow and become a strong man of God and he can't do that if he is a baby forever.

And now, to finish up and remind myself of God's graciousness, a list of thanksgiving:

1. That the buses that go right by our house run straight into town, accommodate the stroller, run 24 hours a day, and come frequently.

2. That we can pack so much onto the stroller.

3. For the annual bus pass that allows us to go anywhere on the bus as much as we want without additional cost.

4. For a washer/dryer in my own flat.

5. For the lovely singing birds right outside my window every morning.

6. For the pretty campus and hills surrounding it.

7. That people are so friendly here.

8. For the very inexpensive bumbo seat, and 2 bags of baby clothes, and little table that I found.
9. For the brand new double glazed windows that keep the noise of the students out and the heat in. They were installed just days before our arrival. Apparently the old windows were terribly drafty.

10. For our church.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Your post makes me sing. I am so happy for you and so happy to see you rejoicing. And I had to show the picture of Iain to anyone within earshot of me. It's a good thing there's an ocean separating us or I meet eat him up. That bumbo seat is also the cutest thing ever. I miss you guys and love you so much.

Anonymous said...

very useful post. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.