Saturday, March 26, 2005

This is My Father's World

This is my Father's world, O let me ne'er forget
That though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the Ruler yet.
This is my Father's world, the battle is not done;
Jesus who died shall be satisfied, and earth and heav'n be one.

My Good Friday was a day of death and mournfulness. Not only was it the somber remembrance of Christ's death on the cross bearing my sin and shame, but I spent the day with my husband outside an abortion clinic. (This was the second crazy idea that I mentioned in an earlier post. It wasn't as scary or crazy as it seemed to me at first.) We sat outside with two signs: "We're waiting to adopt" and "I sought the LORD and He answered me, he delivered me from all my fears." We saw more than a dozen girls go into that clinic and we prayed for them all. None of them stopped to talk with us, but they did see the signs. Our hearts were broken for those young ladies and the pain that they have in their lives and for the dreadful decision that they were making. While were out there, we couldn't help but discuss the Terry Schiavo case. There are so many parallels. It seems as though only people who are "aware of their own personhood" and completely independent of another to take care of them will be granted a right to live. Babies (even those that are born), the elderly, and the disabled do not fit into those two categories.

Sometimes it does seem that wickedness is more powerful than righteousness. I was feeling that way this afternoon, the Lord reminded me of the hymn I've quoted from above. This is His world. Praise the Lord. He is there and works according to His plan and His ways. I pray that He would extend a greater grace to the people around me, that they might come to know Him and serve Him more completely. I'm so saddened when I look at myself and the church of Christ. I pray that He would give us more boldness to speak the truth and more love and compassion for the lost and wounded.

When I thought about writing this entry, I thought I knew what title I would use: A Day of Death. But I think the one the LORD brought to my mind is infinitely more fitting. I pray that I would be of more use to Him in His kingdom, and that the church of Christ would be strengthened.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hey Jordan, like the image. Where's it from.

I prayed for you today and almost called this morning to find out how your day went. I look forward to hearing more...

He is risen!