Monday, March 21, 2005

Unexpected Blessings

Lately God has been softening my heart towards people who are hurting, particularly people who are outside of the saving knowledge of Christ. (This is a movement back to what I hope is a "godly mean" after being both an Arminian and a hyper-Calvinist!) I'm so thankful for this new tender shoot of compassion. I hope that it will grow into a strong, well-rooted tree! I'm praying and searching that God will give me an outlet to serve people in spiritual need. Right now I'm surrounded by believers (which is a tremendous blessing) and I am limited by my health. I never seem to know whether it will be a good day or a bad day until it arrives! But I do pray the Lord would open my eyes to opportunites to share the love of God with others. It is so overwhelming that I feel I must share it!

This has what has been running through my mind lately. And this morning in class, Dr. Gage spoke of the bride of Christ bearing children for Him through conversions. That may sound like a funny analogy, but it seems fitting to me. And just like the Ethiopian Eunach, I need not be spiritually barren. "'Shout for joy, O barren one, you have borne no child... for the sons of the desolate one will be more numerous than the sons of the married woman' says the Lord" Is. 54:1 That excites me very much. I really want to be of service to Christ, but I feel so useless! I was glad to read Stepping Heavenward recently, because although it is fiction, Elizabeth Prentiss encouraged me by having her main character minister to others for 7 years from her bed! I'm very thankful not to be bedridden!

So these thoughts have comforted and excited me. I've also had some wonderful opportunities to fellowship with other believers that have encouraged me very much. It is so good to spend time together discussing life and God.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Precious friend,

I missed you tonight--the night Dr. Gage covered Aristotle on Friendship. Brian and I exchanged a couple glances. I'm sorry you had to go home. That really grieves me.

Yet what a wonderful thing to read and how delightful Dr. Gage's insights must have been to you this morning.

Weeping with those who weep, rejoicing with those who rejoice.

Your friend,
Sus