Saturday, October 04, 2008

Bye-bye, Binky!


Last night was a tremendous milestone for Iain. It was his first night without his beloved pacifier. We prepared him through the late afternoon and evening, and then when it was time for bed, Papa sat him down for a serious heart-to-heart talk. Brian told Iain that he was too big for his binky, and that he wasn't going to need it anymore. Instead Iain would get a special big boy prize. I gave Iain his binky and had him trade it to me for a brand new wooden train. He was very excited about the train, but when he handed over his binky he said "Bye-bye binky" and cried. The look on his face nearly broke my heart. I've been dreading doing this. I was so sad. I think it was as hard for me to see the binky go as it was for him. But happily it only lasted for about 5 seconds and then he was all smiles for the new big boy train!

He played with it for a while and took it to bed with him. Iain slept from 9:30 or so and slept until 6:00, so he did really well. Today he been saying "Bye-bye binky" in a very conversational way, so I think this transition is going to go pretty well. The only mark of babyhood he has left are his diapers. I don't think he is quite ready for potty training yet, but it will be very nice when we don't have to buy diapers any more.

My boy is getting so big! Praise the Lord.

3 comments:

Kristy said...

awwwww such a big boy. Yea I think it's always harder on us mom's than the little ones!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe how fast he's growing up! I'm glad the transition seems to be going well. :)

Richard said...

Is Iain still allowed to have his "blankie"? One of my sons took his 6 year old son's worn out blankie from him for disobeying. He told him he could have it back when he was 21. :-)